HomeGrown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How does your garden grow?

Go down

How does your garden grow? Empty How does your garden grow?

Post  HomeGrown Tue May 26, 2015 8:52 pm

At this time of year, it seems that everything in the garden is growing - especially the weeds Shocked Keeping on top of them can be a bit of a nightmare and more so when you have a large and somewhat overgrown/neglected garden. Our garden is over 100 years old. It has mature trees (some of which I think were originally planted as dwarf varieties, as they are on a rockery Laughing ) and a rockery with couch grass and other deep rooted weeds. The lawn could also do with some tlc; it's covered in moss and there are bare patches.

The only method I have found that really works, is to keep at it little and often. Never allow weeds to seed. The old saying 'one year's weeds, seven years' seeds' seems to be oh so true! I work my way round my garden one bed or section at a time. That means I get round all of it at least once a month. Where the rockery is concerned, rather than taking the whole thing apart (things never go back how they were once they are in pieces), I just keep removing the top growth. Eventually, this weakens the roots and they give up. It takes time and perseverance, but the end result is I see improvement every year. Sometimes it's just a small improvement, but the hard work is really beginning to pay off.

HomeGrown
Admin

https://homegrown.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down