Admin's Veg Plot

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Admin's Veg Plot

Post  HomeGrown on Tue May 26, 2015 9:59 pm

I am very fortunate to have a large garden, so my veg plot is on site and I don't have to trek down the road to an allotment and constantly worry whether my cabbages are safe Shocked

I have eight deep beds, each measuring 12 feet by 4 feet. Apparently 4 feet is the optimum width to prevent standing on the soil in the bed, though I have found I am so short, it's still quite a stretch. I use a four year crop rotation plan (a la John Syemour), so two beds are devoted to each type of crop: peas/beans, potatoes, root crops, and miscellaneous. Brassicas go in a seed bed until they can be planted out in the pea/bean bed when those have been cleared.

This years, I was away from home for almost the entire month of April, plus a week at the start of May and two weeks in March. Which means of course, that things are not as far along as I would like. I managed to plant onions, a few carrots, potatoes (King Edwards), garlic, beetroot and parsnips. The miscellaneous bed is for courgettes (we eat a lot of those) and salad crops. I haven't managed to plant any salads yet, so those are way behind. I also haven't sown any peas or beans, but the weather has been pretty cold this spring, so I am waiting for it to get a bit warmer. Beans especially don't like their roots to be cold.

So that's where I am at the moment. Looking forward to getting some salad in and then the peas and beans. But what with that and the greenhouse renovation project, my time is pretty much filled.

HomeGrown
Admin

View user profile http://homegrown.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Admin's Veg Plot

Post  HomeGrown on Fri May 29, 2015 9:36 pm

There was a branch from a neighbouring tree overhanging my pea and bean bed, so low the pea and bean stakes would have become entangled in it. Yesterday, we chopped the branch off, put the pea fence in place and sowed the peas - two double rows, either side of the fence. The fence itself is a flimsy structure, thrown together in a hurry. It really needs replacing, but hopefully it will last this year out and I can make a new one during the quieter winter months ready for next year.

I also sowed some more carrots and beetroot. Very few of my earlier sowings have bothered to show their faces. They were probably planted too early, but being away meant I didn't have much choice about the timing, and I think it was too cold. Likewise the parsnips haven't shown any sign of growing and it's really too late to try again Sad

If the weather lets up this afternoon, I will try to get outside to sow some runner beans and make a start on clearing the future herb bed.

HomeGrown
Admin

View user profile http://homegrown.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top