HomeGrown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LittleBrownFrog

5 posters

Go down

LittleBrownFrog Empty LittleBrownFrog

Post  LittleBrownFrog Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:19 am

Hello Very Happy

I'm Liz, living in Cornwall with my dh, 4 children, 3 chickens, two cats, a fish, an unknown number of sea monkeys & a transient population of creepy-crawlies Laughing RuthG invited me over here (Hi Ruth Very Happy ).

We're in the process of trying to move house at the moment, steadily working our way down the list of possible complications in a house purchase, we're down to 'mine shafts' now Shocked

I work from home, intermittently selling various crafty things - more of a hobby really, but trying to step it up a little now. I have just started volunteering for HomeStart. Um .... what else ... oh ... home-schooling - we aren't at the moment, we did home-school one of our children for 18 months, he's just gone back to school, but he may well be coming out again soon Very Happy

Look forward to getting to know you all (all four of you Laughing ).

LittleBrownFrog

Back to top Go down

LittleBrownFrog Empty Re: LittleBrownFrog

Post  ChrisG Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:43 am

Hi Liz. It's RuthG from DTL here - lovely to see you. You will see that the forum is a bit quiet at the moment, but hopefully things will improve given time. Welcome to Home Grown Very Happy

ChrisG

Back to top Go down

Post  HomeGrown Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:50 am

Hello and welcome to Home grown. As Ruth has already said, it is a little quiet here but we are building a website too, so we hope traffic here will increase as the website becomes live.

Your house move sounds complicated - mines? Shocked You planning on living underground? Smile

Wow homeschooling too. Busy life then, with four children and a home business to boot.

Anyway, welcome and hope you stick around. Encourage your friends to join and lets get this show on the road!

HomeGrown
Admin

https://homegrown.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisG Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:52 am

I didnt realise you had home schooled Liz. We did the same for our two, daughter until she was 13 and son till he went to college at 17. It's hard work, but so rewarding, watching them develop under your care.

ChrisG

Back to top Go down

Post  OH Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:00 am

Hi Liz OH here. Read your intro. What's this Homestart?

Last edited by OH on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : SPG)
OH
OH

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleBrownFrog Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Thank you for the welcomes Smile

Ruth - yes, we home schooled Thomas for about eighteen months - school just didn't work out for him to start with. He has gone back now, starting in the junior school with the rest of his year group. The jury is still out at the moment about whether we should keep him in school or not ... I'm battling between the desire to stick it out long enough to give it a fair chance, and the desire to bring him back home and reduce the temper tantrums and frustration that school seems to bring for him. My eldest is in school and loves it - she thrives on being told what to do and when to do it. My five year old is in school, although he is also ... um ... complicated Laughing He can't/won't talk in school ... but he tells us he enjoys it, is learning everything they expect him to, and is otherwise thriving, so we're just leaving things as they are for the moment. I find it incredibly hard to accept that it is 'normal' for him to not talk in school, that it isn't a sign of there being something wrong.

OH - this is HomeStart ... easier to post the link than to try to explain lol!

LittleBrownFrog

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisG Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:39 am

Your mention of tantrums etc reminded me of my niece. She was being bullied at school, but no-one ever saw it (so no-one knew it was happening). The other girls would get her in the toilets and threaten to burn her with cigarettes; they even threatened to push her over the landing on the school stairs. She became frightened of using the stairs in case they were there to carry out their threat. She began withdrawing and when she got home she would trash her room on a regular basis. Her parents (my brother and his wife) finally found out what the problem was, but by then she had become completely school phobic. From the age of about 12, she would not go at all. At first they got stuff from the school for her to do at home in the hope that she would get over it(her grandmother was a retired teacher, so she used to supervise). She didnt and eventually they started to devise their own curriculum, to meet her needs. But she had become reclusive - when they went on holiday to Kenya, she refused to go with them because she couldnt stand to be confined in a small space (the plane) with loads of people she didnt know. Sad to say, she is now in her 20s and doesnt work and barely leaves the house.

On the other hand, we deliberately chose to home school from an early age. Our eldest went to school at the age of four, but only because we had just had a new baby and he was quite demanding. I didnt want our daughter to fall behind. It soon became apparent we had made a big mistake and took her out again after a term. With our son, he never went at all till he wanted to do A levels.

ChrisG

Back to top Go down

LittleBrownFrog Empty Hi!

Post  susanna Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:19 am

I thought it was about time I got round to actually posting something on here!

So... hi everyone Very Happy

My interests are probably more on the foody and crafty side.... when I get chance! Definitely food ha ha, I'll post up some of my inventions... I've started writing them down as I can never remember what I put in if I try and make it again.

On the craft side I love making jewelry - very satisfying seeing a pair of earrings in a shop and thinking I could make those from what I've got at home - costs me nothing and I can adapt to my heart's content Very Happy

What kind of crafty things are you into Liz?
susanna
susanna

Back to top Go down

Post  HomeGrown Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi and welcome Susanna. Look forward to seeing some of your creations in the relevant area. We seem to share a taste for food! Very Happy

There was a small glitch in the permissions for posting in recipes and downsizing. I think it has now been fixed, so if you want to let us know some of the wonderful things you create to eat, then please post it there.

HomeGrown
Admin

https://homegrown.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisG Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Welcome my dear daughter (DD) Glad to see you have made it at last! cat

ChrisG

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisG Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:25 am

Admin wrote:Hi and welcome Susanna. Look forward to seeing some of your creations in the relevant area. We seem to share a taste for food! Very Happy

There was a small glitch in the permissions for posting in recipes and downsizing. I think it has now been fixed, so if you want to let us know some of the wonderful things you create to eat, then please post it there.

So what happened to the recipe then? Was looking forward to trying that!

ChrisG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum